Some Music Challenges
Choose any scale (or the first five notes of a scale). Play these notes in the following ways, ascending (up) and descending (down)
- 3 steady beats on each note
- Start very quietly and gradually get louder until the highest note (2 beats on each note)
- Now start loudly and gradually get quieter until the highest note (3 beats on each note)
- Increase the Challenge playing all the above on a different scale (and for the more-experienced players, in a minor key).
Choose one of your current pieces and find four bars or a phrase which you always seem to find quite difficult.
- Slowly and carefully, make sure you understand the rhythm (say it and clap it)
- Check that you know the fingering for each of the notes
- Slowly play the first two bars; then play these bars five times
- Now do the same with bars three & four.
- Play the whole section slowly and carefully five times
- Now try and increase the speed a little bit at a time
- Now play the whole section as well as you can.
Select a short piece from your current music (or a new piece) for a performance by video.
Rehearse this thoroughly.
Perform this piece by video to a grandparent or relative who might not have much social contact.
(If you can, send us a clip of this to Helen Smith our Centre co-ordinator (My SDMC Easter Clip) – email@example.com)